Monday 5 July 2010

last of the hard plastic figure painting diatribe

Who said that?

Only the timber pilum shaft, scabbard/strapping and sandals left to go me thinks. The sandals and scabbard, like the rest of the figure really, was too easy. First up bestial brown (citadel, one of the most used citadel colours in my collection) was blocked in, then washed over with the same brown wash that I used with the flesh (at the same time) and finally dry brushed, again with bestial brown!


The timber shaft earned itself a base coat of a little vermin fur (citadel) mixed with some all singing all dancing bestial brown which was blocked in, it then received the same brown wash as the flesh and sandals (I'm thinking it was a sepia colour) and finally highlighted with a couple of brush strokes (not all over) of, wait for it, bestial brown.


Overall I'm happy with the result for a period I'm not familiar with and a scale I don't normally paint or game. Of course once the pics are taken and the figure can be seen in "real" close up I can find a multitude of things that need fixing or I might have done differently (there's a whole other argument about what is relevant in macro photography on a blog and the reality of the table top). For instance I hadn't realised the sandals have the toes poking through, but then that's the nature of sandals? ;-)  Should I go back and paint in those piggies before they head to market, would I notice once the figure is based and flocked?

All this can wait for another post, it's starting to get a bit Bertrand Russell for my liking. :-)






In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.


[info][add][mail]
Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good, bad or otherwise I love to hear what you think..... mostly